Monday, May 9, 2011

Hard times and good times on the trail.

Hi everyone, before I get into telling a few stories of the trail, here is the break down of our trip so far:

PCT miles hiked: 179
Lowest elevation: 2380
Highest elevation: 8380
Terrain: Some days we've had little to no shade in the desert with temps in the 90s, and other days we've been hiking up to the higher elevations of the San Jacinto mountains with crazy winds and temps down in the 30s at night.
Weather: No, it actually has not been sunny everyday. A front moved in a we were traversing the mountains up to Idyllwild and we watched as clouds formed all around us. Yesterday we hiked through snow pack! There is more snow to hike through in the next day or so before we drop to the H O T desert again.
Water situation: Water access has been interesting to say the least. There have been periods of hiking where we had no water for 20 miles or more, but thanks to PCT volunteers rightfully called 'trail angels', we've gotten some water at strategic road intersections.

Story time! One of the many trail angels is a guy who allows PCT thru-hikers to come to his vacation house which is only a short distance from the trail in the middle of nowhere-I mean nowhere-to get water.  He also has a small shack that they call the hikers bunk house, though its really a shack.  Now you would think this sounds great but we heard the trail angel was not there and his caretaker, who had a reputation of getting drunk and then threatening to shank hikers, was looking over the place.  So when Maya and I got to the house we approached with caution because not only were we scared of this caretaker guy but the place looked more like a compound then a house at first.  Our need for water and rest after 18 miles of hiking overcame our fears and we proceeded anyway through the gate, past some junk and the gate with the ten foot high barbwire fence (like the ones that are around prisons). Luckily, we were greeted by fellow hikers and a PCTA trail crew volunteer who was there for the weekend.  Our anxiety was erased when we were given cold drinks and place to sit.  We did see the legendary caretaker when he came out of the house looking mad, but trail crew volunteer jumped up talked him back into the house. Thankfully it was an uneventful Cinco de Mayo

Gaiter Break Down: So far, I have been the only one to have a small break down as I decided to hike a day with out my mini gaiters (goes around the top of your shoe and lower calf to keep out stones, snow, etc.) in the theory that it would let my feet breath more. Maya had been hiking without them so I didn't think it would be that bad... Well, that didn't go well.  Only a few hours into the hike, I screamed, threw down my hiking poles and pack demanded that "I Will Hike No Farther With Out My Gaiters".  I then proceeded to sit in the middle of the trail, pout some more, empty out my shoes, and put my gaiters back on.  Maya just laughed at me and suggested that I eat something so that I wouldn't be to grumpy.  

The trail has been fun and exciting and we've have met some great people, though that part has been harder than we expected (Perhaps more on that later).  Our bodies hurt and our feet are thanking us now that we got some new better trail shoes.
Our spirits are high and we our psyched for or next section of trail.  

Garrett & Maya

1 comment:

  1. Photos are beautiful!!
    A little cheer for you two.. "Whooo hoooo!!! Great work!!!"
    Keep smiling =)
    Crissy

    ReplyDelete