Thursday, June 30, 2011

Traveling with Good Friends, Old and New

The Sierra have proven to be quite challenging this year, more so than most years mostly because of the immense amount of snow we've been hiking through. This last section was the most difficult yet with several mountain passes (low points between mountain ridges) that were above 11,000 feet in elevation coupled with and countless ice-cold creek crossings at the lower elevations. We are ever vigilant about safety and have been traveling with two tough women. The four of us have been traveling through the Sierra together and have looked out for each other in navigating through the tough spots on the trail.
During this last section, Garrett got a break from the constant estrogen from one of our close friends here who has been helping us out logistically since before we started in Campo. Dave joined us for 4 and a half days of fun and kept up with us as if he had been hiking the entire trail with us. His comic relief and level head during stream crossings and ascents of mountain passes helped keep spirits high as we continued our journey northward through the snow.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maya,
    Garrett, I haven't ever met you, but hello as well!! I just saw this on fbook and I am so impressed. Your photos are amazing and I love reading the updates. Keep it up!!!!! I'll be checking back in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have made it so far and seem to be enjoying the adventure. I hope that all continues to go well. I will be in WA until the end of Sept so let me know if you need a food drop or a ride somewhere, I am close enough for a day trip.

    ReplyDelete